HDMI Audio popping noises on ATI Graphics Card - fixed!
When playing sound through my ATI HD4350 graphics card through the HDMI port, I was getting many popping sounds - and I found the fix. I am using Windows 7 Professional x64. The video was fine, but the audio had pops in it.
I found that the cause of the problem was that my computer was using the Microsoft HDMI audio driver instead of the ATI HDMI audio driver.
To fix this problem, I downloaded the latest Catalyst Control Center + drivers from the ATI website. However, when I installed these drivers, it only installed the graphics driver, but did not override the Microsoft HDMI audio driver.
To install the HDMI audio driver on Windows 7, do the following:
- Go to Start->Control Panel->Sound, and select the “Playback” tab.
- Right click on the “HDMI Output” playback device, and select “Properties”.
- In the “general” tab, under “Controller Information”, if it says “Microsoft” anywhere, then it is using the Microsoft driver, and not the ATI driver.
- Click on “Properties” in the “Controller Information” box
- Go to the “Driver” tab, and click on “Update Driver”.
- Click on “Browse my computer for driver software”, and choose the directory that the ATI driver install files were unzipped to. In my case, this was the C:\ATI\Support\10-6_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_enu directory. Make sure that “Include subfolders” is clicked.
- Click on “Next”. It will find the HDMI audio driver and will install it.
- A reboot may or may not be necessary. This got rid of the pops that I was hearing out of the HDMI output.
This problem occurred on an ASUS EAH4350 desktop graphics card - but it could perhaps occur on other graphics cards as well.